Kiswin32 - Kismet for windows in a can!

Kiswin32 - Kismet for windows in a can!

Postby renderman » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:07 pm

I initially told everyone about this in a different thread, but I'm starting this one as an 'official' announcement and the inevitable place for support/discussion, etc.

In October of 2005, Joshua Wright of the SANS institute was able to accomplish what I'd been hoping would happen for over a year. As part of a webcast on monitoring your Wlan, he was able to get kismet into a nearly standalone package, made to work with my WRT54G Kismet_drones. He included scripting and all the nessecary Cygwin DLL's to have it run virtually on it's own.

So instead of a bulky 100+ meg cygwin install, he had an easily distributable package that weighs in at just over 6 meg. He was kind enough to provide me with a beta version for some testing, and once he released it, I went in and added GPSD for cygwin to the package and edited the scripting to support it as well.

So, thanks mostly to Joshua Wright's work, and his kind permission, Kiswin32 is available to everyone who want's to run Kismet on windows without having to install Cygwin. Should work on Win2K/XP. Anything else and you on your own.

I'll still be updating the Kismet-on-windows guide as the 'manual' version of compiling/installing kismet on windows, this package it meant mostly for everyones ease of use.

http://www.renderlab.net/projects/wrt54g/kiswin.html
http://www.churchofwifi.org/Project_Display.asp?PID=65
User avatar
renderman
 
Posts: 1867
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2002 5:29 pm
Location: Anywhere but Utah

Postby Thorn » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:09 pm

renderman wrote:I initially told everyone about this in a different thread, but I'm starting this one as an 'official' announcement and the inevitable place for support/discussion, etc.

In October of 2005, Joshua Wright of the SANS institute was able to accomplish what I'd been hoping would happen for over a year. As part of a webcast on monitoring your Wlan, he was able to get kismet into a nearly standalone package, made to work with my WRT54G Kismet_drones. He included scripting and all the nessecary Cygwin DLL's to have it run virtually on it's own.

So instead of a bulky 100+ meg cygwin install, he had an easily distributable package that weighs in at just over 6 meg. He was kind enough to provide me with a beta version for some testing, and once he released it, I went in and added GPSD for cygwin to the package and edited the scripting to support it as well.

So, thanks mostly to Joshua Wright's work, and his kind permission, Kiswin32 is available to everyone who want's to run Kismet on windows without having to install Cygwin. Should work on Win2K/XP. Anything else and you on your own.

I'll still be updating the Kismet-on-windows guide as the 'manual' version of compiling/installing kismet on windows, this package it meant mostly for everyones ease of use.

http://www.renderlab.net/projects/wrt54g/kiswin.html


Three cheers for Joshua and Render!
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn
 
Posts: 10340
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 3:00 am
Location: Villa Straylight

Postby Mark57 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:13 pm

Thorn wrote:Three cheers for Joshua and Render!


Hip, Hip, Hooray!
Hip, Hip, Hooray!
Hip, Hip, Hooray!

Great work guys.
Mark57
 
Posts: 1204
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 9:17 am
Location: OKC

Postby streaker69 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:15 pm

Thorn wrote:Three cheers for Joshua and Render!


Well, I was searching for 'cheerleaders' to make a funny joke about three cheers for them, unforutnately, I couldn't find three cheerleaders together, but I did find the next best thing.
Attachments
DSC00082.JPG
DSC00082.JPG (42.07 KiB) Viewed 2360 times
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
User avatar
streaker69
 
Posts: 11867
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:09 am
Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby renderman » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:21 pm

/me shakes his head.

Hey, Joshua did most of the work. It's just going to be fun trying to maintain all these projects. Next cygwin or kismet release and head will probobly explode
User avatar
renderman
 
Posts: 1867
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2002 5:29 pm
Location: Anywhere but Utah

Postby Dutch » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:27 pm

streaker69 wrote:Well, I was searching for 'cheerleaders' to make a funny joke about three cheers for them, unforutnately, I couldn't find three cheerleaders together, but I did find the next best thing.

Ain't that Audit's nieces ?

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
User avatar
Dutch
 
Posts: 6698
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: City of Mermaids, Denmark

Postby joswr1ght » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:59 pm

streaker69 wrote:Well, I was searching for 'cheerleaders' to make a funny joke about three cheers for them, unforutnately, I couldn't find three cheerleaders together, but I did find the next best thing.


You can't beat chicks with guns! :) I think that middle one could totally take Render (without firearms!).

That said, my circular thanks to Render for the WRT54G+Kismet howto, and of course to dragorn for making it all possible.

-Josh
-Joshua Wright
jwright@hasborg.com
http://home.jwu.edu/jwright/

Today I stumbled across the world's largest hotspot. The SSID is "linksys".


Check out the SANS advanced wireless auditing and assessment course:
Los Angeles
joswr1ght
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:18 am

Postby King_Ice_Flash » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:32 pm

Wow! Guys, really nice.
"Yeah," said a voice from under the table, "you go to pieces so fast people get hit by the shrapnel."
User avatar
King_Ice_Flash
 
Posts: 2658
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 11:00 am
Location: WI

Postby renderman » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:58 pm

joswr1ght wrote:You can't beat chicks with guns! :) I think that middle one could totally take Render (without firearms!).

That said, my circular thanks to Render for the WRT54G+Kismet howto, and of course to dragorn for making it all possible.

-Josh


I think my GF would kick all thier asses :)

It's been interesting working on all this stuff. It's amazing what kind of paths all this work has gone down.

Thanks for the thanks.
User avatar
renderman
 
Posts: 1867
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2002 5:29 pm
Location: Anywhere but Utah

Postby Dutch » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:03 am

renderman wrote:I think my GF would kick all thier asses :)

We DEMAND and WANT full motion video of that, and are ready to pay for the download !
:D

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
User avatar
Dutch
 
Posts: 6698
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: City of Mermaids, Denmark

Postby G8tK33per » Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:21 am

renderman wrote:I think my GF would kick all thier asses :)

It's been interesting working on all this stuff. It's amazing what kind of paths all this work has gone down.

Thanks for the thanks. Have you been getting my emails about that 'other' project I mentioned to you? Have'nt heard back, just curious if you can help. renderman <AT> hushamil <dot> com if you need an alternate address

I presume he means:

renderman <AT> hushmail <dot> com
"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Sons of Confederate Veterans
User avatar
G8tK33per
 
Posts: 6078
Joined: Fri May 09, 2003 4:00 am
Location: Goomba's Booty Boardwalk

Postby MikeP928 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:35 am

Dutch wrote:We DEMAND and WANT full motion video of that, and are ready to pay for the download !
:D

Dutch


Didn't you notice that the highlight footage was included with the BitTorrent of NS .5 for Linux? You must have gotten the early version before he included it. Download and try it again. Great footage!

MikeP
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759
User avatar
MikeP928
 
Posts: 1122
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 8:09 pm
Location: Florida Panhandle

Postby streaker69 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:40 am

MikeP928 wrote:Didn't you notice that the highlight footage was included with the BitTorrent of NS .5 for Linux? You must have gotten the early version before he included it. Download and try it again. Great footage!

MikeP


Careful, you're gonna get Prez and KIF all worked up again.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
User avatar
streaker69
 
Posts: 11867
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:09 am
Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby Dutch » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:15 am

MikeP928 wrote:Didn't you notice that the highlight footage was included with the BitTorrent of NS .5 for Linux? You must have gotten the early version before he included it. Download and try it again. Great footage!

MikeP

Looks like Tourist season is over, since you feel you need to bug us poor overworked moderators.. Damn floridians, lets start a NGO to persuade more visitors to that state. That'll teach them!!!

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
User avatar
Dutch
 
Posts: 6698
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: City of Mermaids, Denmark

Postby MikeP928 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:26 pm

Dutch wrote:Looks like Tourist season is over, since you feel you need to bug us poor overworked moderators.. Damn floridians, lets start a NGO to persuade more visitors to that state. That'll teach them!!!

Dutch


Don't bother, the next migration starts in about 3 weeks. It's the annual snowbird infestation. And just like a fresh batch of newbies, we get to hear why it is so much better where they came from. And to head off that first statement out of their mouths,(that happens as often as 'how do I get on my neighbor's wireless?') NO, we don't give a shit how you did it back home!

Actually, we may be safe this year. I'm not sure there is enough gas for them to pull that many campers down here. And damn sure not enough gas around here to get them home.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759
User avatar
MikeP928
 
Posts: 1122
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 8:09 pm
Location: Florida Panhandle

Next

Return to Unix/Linux

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests